So many folx ask me this question and it's always so interesting when they also tell me what they think ShadowWeRK is. I decided, since we're now in the darkest DARK part of the year (The Dark Sun Season is actually Sagittarius Season!), that I would do a little WeRKshop on this topic.
Of course, I scheduled it for the first day of Mercury's Retrograde Shadow and everything that could go wrong with technology DID. You'd think I'd know better by now, but alas, I do not. However, I decided to go ahead with the meeting anyway, via Zoom on my phone.
It wasn't terrible but I couldn't share the graphics like I wanted to so I am including those here, along with the Video.
I will also be expanding on this topic in 2023 so if you're curious about ShadowWeRK and how I approach it please share any questions you have in the comments and I'll definitely add those curiosities to my curriculum. Make sure you subscribe to my SweetAstro Newsletter for weekly Astrology updates and more info on when those ShadowWeRK WeRkshops may occur!
I hope this is a helpful starting point! I recommend LISTENING to the video AND looking at the notes and slides below...
The first and most important thing to remember about your ShadowWeRk practice is, there's no wrong way to do it.
This is a personal journey and much of the anxiety or resistance you have to this WeRK may be rooted in the same places that patriarchy, capitalism and whiteness are rooted. So, it's not just ShadowWeRK hard it's also this culture hard. Doing you ShadowWeRK can also help you dismantle and unthread these toxic indoctrinations too.
In the video I talk about Busting the Stereotypes you may have about ShadowWeRK so you can begin to personalize it. Doing this will allow you to find YOUR Unique Magical Gifts & Tools, not just FOR ShadowWeRK but for your entire practice/life.
This video focuses on using Astrology as a tool for ShadowWeRK but what other tools or techniques do you think might be helpful for your practice? Don't forget to consider the things you already enjoy and know well as tools for this WeRK too!
ShadowWeRK Tools in Astrology |
- Look at how the energies of the Signs lays out in your chart; up energy and down energy. This is connected to the literal Seasons in a year too!
- Aries – Up
- Taurus – Down
- Gemini – Up
- Cancer – Down
- Leo – Up
- Virgo – Down
- Libra – Up
- Scorpio – Down
- Sagittarius – Up
- Capricorn – Down
- Aquarius – Up
- Pisces – Down
Learn the Shadow Keywords of every Sign, Planet, House & Aspect.
- Create Shadow Associations & Archetypes so you can better understand and explain what a Shadow can look, act, behave, or be like.
Look at what’s up with the Water Signs in your chart.
- NOTE: Water Signs are holders of more ShadowWeRK skills BUT/AND all Signs have Shadow Sides so this doesn’t mean Water Signs are MORE Shadow filled.
- Water Signs
Look at what you have in the Shadow or Dark Houses:
- 4th House
- 8th House
- 12th House
- And don’t forget that all Houses have a Shadow side
As Above So Below; The Horizon in the Chart
- What do you have in the 1st – 6th Houses? This is BELOW the horizon and can indicate where we do more introspective, inner, Shadow WeRK.
- What do you have in the 7th – 12th Houses? This is ABOVE the horizon and can indicate where we do more interpersonal, public, Relationship WeRK.
- These are good to track in connection with Aspects; when The Sun or The Moon are moving thru this part our chart.
- This also adds some flavor to the difference between the 4th House AND the 8th & 12th Houses energetics… The 8th & 12th are more active and the 4th is more solid, or steady.
The Sun Phases | Where is The Sun today?
- The Sun has phases, just like The Moon.
- The Sun Season’s that open up most to Shadow WeRK are Autumn Suns:
- We can collectively do powerful ShadowWeRK during these Seasons
- If we have our Sun, Moon or Rising Signs in these Houses we may have a different relationship with ShadowWeRK or with Shadow tools
- It’s important to understand where these Signs fall in your chart, what Houses are Libra, Scorpio, Sagittarius?
- There’s a reason we have a lot of Shadow focused holidays this time of the year.
- It’s also good to think about what the plants and animals are doing during these times of the year
- IMPORTANT: This is focused on Northern Hemisphere weather! So if you’re a Southern Hemisphere person, your Autumn Seasons are Aries, Taurus, Gemini… does this info resonate with you in those Signs/Houses?
The Moon Phases | Where is The Moon today?
- I didn’t mention this in the video, which is HILARIOUS to me!
- The Dark Moon is the most powerful Moon for ShadowWeRK but we also do this WeRK from the Last Quarter to Dark Moon in our rituals.
- It’s important to consider what you know about the Signs, Houses & Sun Phases when you think about the Moon Phases.
- A Sagittarius Season Dark Moon occurs when The Moon is in Scorpio. THIS is an intensely powerful ShadowWeRKing Moon!
- Tracking where The Dark Moon lands in your chart every month is a VERY POWERFUL place to do ShadowWeRk BUT/AND it’s challenging to find this because it’s not mentioned as often as the other Moon phases.
- A Dark Moon will always occur when The Moon is in the Sign before the New Moon Sign. If the Sun is in Virgo, the New Moon will be in Virgo, so The Dark Moon will be in Leo.
- Dark Moon’s are a time for introspection, quiet, banishment, and deep release.
The Timelord aka: Annual Profections
- This is such a powerful tool for ShadowWeRK.
- We use the above techniques to breakdown how this activated year will impact us.
- Example: if you’re having a 4th, 8th, or 12th House year this could be a great year for you to double down on your ShadowWeRKing – regardless of what Sign you have in these Houses.
- OR if you’re having a Cancer, Scorpio, or Pisces year (regardless of what House this is for you) you may be able to utilize this for deeper Shadow WeRK.
- It’s also good to know when you’re having a Moon year, chances are you’ll have access to great ShadowWeRKing tools during this time.
Here's HOW to calculate your Annual Profections: